Tried and tasted by Nivedita
I am posting North Karnataka recipe after a long time. Its very common sweet which is prepared on full moon day or any other puja at home. I have already given the recipe for Broken wheat(or thick rava) and jaggery Halwa.
Now I am giving the recipe for making poli with it but in this I have used the normal semolina or Bansi rava. And there are two ways to make it. Either you can use sugar or Jaggery for the sweetness. I have used the jaggery to get that authentic taste.
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Water to make soft dough.
Usually Maida or All Purpose Flour is used to make the dough but I avoid using APF where ever I can.
Make the dough ready and keep aside for half an hour.
For the stuffing,
Normal Semolina - 1 cup
(Even the fine semolina can be used)
Jaggery(grated or powdered) - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Salt a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Ghee - 1tsp
Water - 1 to 1 1/2 cup
Oil to fry the polis.
- Take thick bottomed pan and fry the semolina with 1 tsp ghee till you get aroma.
- In another vessel keep 1 cup water to boil, when it starts boiling add the rawa and cook till its 3/4 done. It may take 6 to 8 minutes. Now add the jaggery and mix well. Cook for a minute. Add the salt,turmeric powder and cardamom powder. Keep on stirring till its done, the semolina will start leaving the sides. Remove it from fire and allow it to cool. Divide into equal lime size balls.
- Divide the ready dough into small lemon size balls. Take one ball, roll into puri size. Take the semolina ball and keep in the middle. Cover it and make sure to seal it properly.
- Roll into thin poli.
- Heat tawa and roast the poli on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and the semolina balls.
- Serve it with lot of ghee!! Yes, it tastes great with ghee.... and pickle.
Sending it to