Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Masala stuffed Brinjal Fritters (ಮಸಾಲೆ ಬದನೆ ಕಾಯಿ ಭಜಿ)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,

Brinjal fritter is prepared in many ways. It depends on your taste, your time and the occasion. Each region has its own way to prepare this bhaji. I am trying to do it the way it is prepared in Gadag District in Karnataka. When my mother was still working she got transferred to Gadag for 2 years. Every day she used travel from Dharwad to Gadag by 3 types of transportation. First, early in the morning I used to drop her to bus stand. From there she will travel in bus till Hubli, From Hubli to Gadag in train and from Gadag station to her office in mini cab!!! While coming back from the office, she used to  have this bhaji which is a famous street food. I never had this as I never got chance to have it when ever I traveled to Gadag. So I have taken mom's instructions and took her help to make it with little changes, as I felt the taste will be better if I do the changes.
Going to the recipe,
Brinjal - 4, medium, purple
Oil to fry the fritters
Wash, cut brinjal into very thick round pieces(3 pieces in one brinjal)
Again slit the brinjal in to two  pieces, keeping one end intact. Put them in salt water and keep aside.
For batter,
Gram flour - 1/ cup
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
salt - very little only for the cover, as we are going to add again in stuffing
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp crushed
Ajwain - 1/4 tsp crushed
Haldi - pinch
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Hot oil - 1 tbsp
Mix all in a bowl and keep aside.

For stuffed masala,
Green chilly - 4
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander - handful
Salt to taste
Curry leaves few
Mix everything in a blender and make into a paste.








Take the brinjal out in a plate. Drain the water. Stuff the green masala in to it as shown in the photo. 
Heat the oil in a kadai.
Dip the stuffed brinjal in to a batter and fry them in a oil. Remove from oil and keep it on a tissue paper to remove any excess oil.
But, when I tasted these, I felt the stuffed masala is still raw, So I fried the green masala and then stuffed it. This also tastes good. 
So the choice is yours!!!
[eggplant.jpg]

Sending this to silpa of Anita' s Kitchen's event Vegetable Marathon:Event Announcement

Keep smiling,

18 comments:

Malar Gandhi said...

Whoo, very new to me...stuffed bajji sounds amazing... you are so creative, dear. I absolutely liked this style:)

Indian food recipes said...

Baji is one of my fav!Luv this golden beauties! tnx 4 sharing this special recipe dear...will try&let u know

Priya Suresh said...

Fritters sounds too prefect for me, love the idea of stuffing the brinjals and make out fritter..yummy!!

Rachana said...

Yummy fritters!!! perfect with a cuppa in this cold weather:)

jayashree said...

I have tasted this bonda in Gadag many years back and it is truly divine !

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice idea to stuff the brinjals and then fry it..looks crispy and delicious nivedita..

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Fritters with stuffing sounds interesting

Suma said...

Wow Nivedita!! has forgotten these tempting Bhajjis!! Now I gotta catch the next train to your place:-))

Soma Pradhan said...

This sounds interesting to me...I am going to try it soon

Malar said...

really superb Nivedita..

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi All,
Thanks a lot to stop by and leave sweet comments. That gives me energy to move forward! :-)

priya said...

yummm

Urmi said...

Absolutely new and interesting dish. Brinjal fitter looks spicy, crispy, yummy and mouth watering. What a great idea of stuffing the brinjals. I appreciate for your wonderful step by step presentation.

Anant said...

Wow, thank u very much, I just followed your steps and ended up with very delicious bajjis :-), all my fmly members who ate the bajjis appreciated the taste of bajjis and everyone asked where did I learn to do such delicious bajjis :-) thanks again

Nivedita Thadani said...

Thank you so much. Your comments made my day. Keep visiting.

Vee said...

Hi My name is Veena my in laws place is Gadag.
But I don't know the original recipe ,what they stuff inside.please this is my request.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Veena, thank you for visiting my blog. this is the original recipe which my mom shared with me. I have given the recipe in detail. please go through it. You can check with your in laws whether its correct or something else to be added. keep visiting.

Unknown said...

Hi
My name is Aiman Qazi and I am from Gadag,believe me these badnikai bahji are amazing very good in taste missing them very much as I am in Qatar now

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog