Monday, April 6, 2009

Gurellu Chutney(Niger seeds,ಗುರೆಳ್ಳು) powder

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi all,




Gurellu chutney(ಗುರೆಳ್ಳು) is very common in North Karnataka kitchen shelf. Actually it is an essential ingredient used in so many recipes. And one can eat just like that with curds and chapatti or Jowar rotti. I tried to search in the web for its English name. Here is the link for the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_seed
but to be sure it is NOT “black sesame seeds”, as I read in few blogs. It is called as Niger seeds in English.
Here is the recipe
Gurellu – 1 cup
Curly leaves – 2 lines
Salt – 1 tsp (don’t use more, as it is used in making so many recipes, and we also put salt in those recipes.)
Red chilly powder – 1 tsp

Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Roast the Gurellu in a thick bottomed pan on medium heat. Keep on stirring till you get nice aroma. If you leave in the middle, it will be burnt.
After its cold, add other ingredients and grind into powder and store in a jar. You can keep for 15 days, if stored in dry place.

It is used in brinjal, green moong, capsicum, cucumber and so many other preparations.
Or can have it with curds and Jowar rotti.
Keep smiling,

10 comments:

sunn said...

hi nivedita,
thanks for the recipe, it's my hubby's favorite.......
we are from north Karnataka..
could u please tell me where can we buy gurellu in USA

thanks
sneha

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Sneha,
Thanks. As I was in UAE till last month, I really dont have idea where will you get gurellu in USA. Even in UAE, I tried many Indian stores, but could not get it. so I used to take from India whenever I came on vacation. May be I will chk with my cousins there in USA and let you know if they know about it.

Myvegfare said...

I too have made this chutney powder I love it, I have used it in few of my dishes, We call this as Uchellu in bangalore.., it is so tasty

bathmate said...

As always an excellent posting.The
way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

Bathmate

Anonymous said...

Hi guys did anyone find out where we could find uchellu /gurellu in usa? Thanks

Anonymous said...

If gurellu is the same as kalonji, then I think that the English name for it is black "onion seeds".

Anonymous said...

if you look in an Ethiopian store it is called noog.

Anonymous said...

You will find it in the bird food section. A kilo will cost about 5 dollars/ 3 GB pounds.

--Shubhada

Daniel said...

Great recipe, going to try this tonight thanks.

Anonymous said...

जवस चटणी ಅಗಸಿ ಚಟ್ನಿ FLAX SEED CHUTNEY

कारळे चटणी ಗುರೆಳ್ಳು ಚಟ್ನಿ NIGER SEED CHUTNEY

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog