Tried and tasted by Nivedita
I am really sorry for not posting this recipe soon. I know mango season is getting over and we need raw mangoes for this recipe. I don't know the name for this recipe but it has a mixed taste of pickle, jam, gulumb...
Its the best with anything, roti, chapati, rice, idly, dosa, bread.....
The best part is you can make and store in the fridge for months together and enjoy the mango even when there is no mango season.
I will come directly to the recipe.
Actually there are two ways I prepare. One is you can not keep as we add onion in it.
The second one is told by my best friend Aunradha.
I love this version and can go on nibbling again.
Mangoes - 10 to 12, (raw or half raw is fine, I used half raw, the mangoes were almost yellow)
Oil - 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tbsp
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 3 to 4 tbsp (adjust according to your taste)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Hing - 1 tsp or
if using stoned hing, use just a pepper size.
Salt to taste
Jaggery - 1/4 cup or more(Again check with your taste)
Water - 2 cups or little more to make thick paste
- Wash the mangoes, wipe to dry full.
- Cut in to small pieces, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai.
- When hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, methi seeds and hing.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add the red chilly powder, jaggery, salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the mangoes. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the mangoes are cooked.
- Keep checking for the water. add if you feel its getting dry.
- Adjust the seasoning and cook till the oil starts leaving the sides.
- Cool it and store it in a glass jar or Plastic jar.
- It can be stored in refrigerator for months.