Monday, October 12, 2009

what are these called in English?

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
I have 2 questions about these below vegetables in the photo. I want to know what are these called in English.
I browsed many sites, trying many words, but could not get the answer.

                                                            Kaarchi kai
I do not know the English name of the vegetable in the photo, but in North Karnataka, we call it "Kaarchi kai"(Kannada). It tastes like bitter gourd. It is available only in the rainy season. It is having crunchy seeds. It is having tails on both the sides, need to be removed before we cook. One more thing to keep in mind is, if it is exposed to direct sun, it will open and split and the seeds will come out. Then you can not cook it. (Click here  for my recipe)

One more question for below leafy vegetable! I do not know what it is called in English, We call it Kirakasali in Kannada. (click here for my recipe)

It looks like Rajgiri leaves. Only difference is it is having while colour seeds on it's stem.(you can see in the photo below!)
In Harsha Bennur's blog(, he has given the name as Tandulsa, I do not know which language it is.

If any one knows the English names for these, please let me know!

Keep smiling,


Shanthi Krishnakumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

The first one is "Bitter melon" and the next one is araikeerai in Tamil and Amaranthus tricolour in English, though its not tricolour.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Shanthi
Thanks for so quick reply and for the answer.

pramod said...

Hi Nivedita Thanks for the information.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog