Tried and tasted by Nivedita
"Sandwich" I love the word itself. Any type of sandwich is accepted by my body :-) I prefer having brown bread sandwich than white bread, as it leaves me guilt free.
Other than breads, Chapati sandwiches are my favorite too. Falafel Sandwich and Shawarma sandwich were my favorite when I was in UAE and it was very regular for us to have once a week. I used to enjoy both the sandwiches at a time :-)
Falafel sandwiches are vegetarial and Shawarma sandwiches are prepared using roasted chicken..
I miss UAE very much for these two. I have tried making Falafel sandwiches many times, but to get Shawarma sandwiches is not possible.( here in India too, we have Shawarma centers, but not that unique, juicy, salady (?) taste is possible here)
Coming to my own Falafel sandwich recipe, you must read the whole recipe. I am re posting it for the event.
Click Falafel Sandwich (Indianised) for original post:
This sandwich is prepared with the ingredients which are all replaced for original recipe :-) Read to check it.
The things I DID NOT HAD were,
1. Garlic paste
2. Olive oil
3. Tahina or sesame paste
4. Pita Bread
5. Salad leaves
6. and the ready vegetable pickles!!!!!
I am giving here my version:
WHAT I TRIED TO REPLACE FOR
1. GARLIC PASTE : I did not had garlic paste, and my daughter does not like Mayonnaise, So I went for HUNG CURD. I took a teaspoon of Garlic Juice and mixed with hung curd.
2. I used the NORMAL COOKING OIL
3. TAHINA : My husband had brought it from UAE, but the expiry date was done, I did not had any option. Then I thought of soaking the sesame seeds(2 tbsp) in hot water for half an hour and grind it into paste with one green chilly and little oil. My Tahina was ready.
4.PITA BREAD : I prepared normal Maida chapatis, you can use wheat chapati also.
5. SALAD LEAVES : We do not get salad leaves here. So I settled down with CABBAGE LEAVES, SHREDDED FINELY.
6. READY VEG. PICKLES : I CUT FEW CARROT, CUCUMBER AND RADISH IN TO THIN LONG STRIPS, SOAKED THESE IN SALT AND VINEGAR FOR FEW HOURS!!!
Now is the time for Falafel :
Boil the soaked chickpeas with a pinch of salt. Drain the water.
GREEN CHILLY - 2
CUMIN SEEDS - 1TSP
GINGER - 1"
SALT TO TASTE
FRESH CORIANDER - HANDFUL OR PARSLEY(I do not get Parsley here )
OIL - 1 TSP
RED CHILLY FLAKES - 1 TSP (Optional)
PUT EVERYTHING IN A FOOD PROCESSOR OR MIXER AND TURN INTO FINE PASTE.
Keep in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Take it out and make big lime size balls and press it. (if you are lucky to have falafel maker!! then its great)
Keep all the the falafel ready.
Heat the OIL, fry in batches.
Sending this to
Announcing Sandwich Mela which is currently ON in Valli's blog.