Tried and tasted by Nivedita
One more Bitter gourd recipe from me. Bitter gourd is not a welcome guest in most of the houses. It is treated as a medicine. But, luckily my house people love this one. Once in a week I prepare BITTER GOURD CHIPS AND CURDS for dinner with chapati. But I never get to eat it :-), So I keep few karelas for me and prepare this masala. I enjoy it with leftover Jowar roti, I really love it.
Bitter gourd - 3 big
(1 tsp of Salt and Turmeric powder to wash)
Onion -2 big, finely chopped
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green chilly - 2 big, slit into two, add in the end,
Haldi(Turmeric powder) a pinch
to grind in to paste
Fresh coconut - 1/4 cup, fried till brown
tamarind - small lime size
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Fresh coriander - 1/4 bunch
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Jaggery - 2 tbsp
sesame seeds - 1tsp
- Wash, peel and remove the seeds from bitter gourd by slitting it slightly on the edge. Cut into small cubes,.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and Turmeric powder, mix well and keep it aside for an hour or so.
- Squeeze the bitter gourd and wash it twice with clean water. Drain and keep it aside.
- Take all the ingredients in "to grind into paste" list and grind into coarse paste.Transfer it into a bowl and clean the grinder vessel with clean water and keep the water aside. It is used to cook the masala.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai.
- When hot, add onions and curry leaves.
- Fry till half brown.
- Add the slit green chilly and bitter gourd cubes. Keep on frying till the bitter gourd turn into almost brown color.
- Now add the ground paste, mix well.
- Cook for a minute with the masala water,
- Check the taste and adjust the salt or chilly taste by adding whatever you feel is less.
- Cook for few more minutes and garnish with fresh coriander(optional).
- Serve hot with chapati or hot rice :-)