Friday, June 18, 2010

Falafel Sandwich (Indianised)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
After marriage, when I went to UAE, I tried the Falafel sandwich. And I did not like it at all!! After 6 months, while coming back from the office, one evening I was very hungry. My husband had come to pick me up and was having falafel sandwich. As I did not had any choice, I tried once again the sandwich and Voila!!!!! I loved it on the first byte. May be I was hungry or was already used to UAE life. And then all the years I stayed in UAE, Falafel Sandwich and Chicken Shawarma  were my favorite food. Almost every weekend I used to have either Falafel or Shawarma sandwich.
After I came back to India, I have always missed the UAE food.  I try to prepare few things but most of the times, it is not possible as I do not get many ingredients here. Two weeks back my elder daughter was feeling like having falafel sandwich. I thought of giving it a try!! With many ingredients unavailable, I was not sure how will I start!! Check it down to see my struggle to make it, and I succeeded at the end. My daughter enjoyed the sandwich.

The things I DID NOT HAD were,
1. Garlic paste
2. Olive oil
3. Tahina or sesame paste
4. Pita Bread
5. Salad leaves
6. and the ready vegetable pickles!!!!!
I am giving here my version:

WHAT I TRIED TO REPLACE FOR

1. GARLIC PASTE : I did not had garlic paste, and my daughter does not like Mayonnaise,  So I went for HUNG CURD. I took a teaspoon of Garlic Juice and mixed with hung curd. 
2. I used the NORMAL COOKING OIL

3. TAHINA : My husband had brought it from UAE, but the expiry date was done, I did not had any option. Then I thought of soaking the sesame seeds(2 tbsp) in hot water for half an hour and grind it into paste with one green chilly and little oil. My Tahina was ready.
4.PITA BREAD : I prepared normal Maida chapatis, you can use wheat chapati also.
    
5. SALAD LEAVES : We do not get salad leaves here. So I settled down with CABBAGE LEAVES, SHREDDED FINELY.
6. READY VEG. PICKLES : I CUT FEW CARROT, CUCUMBER AND RADISH IN TO THIN LONG STRIPS, SOAKED THESE IN SALT AND VINEGAR FOR FEW HOURS!!!
Now is the time for Falafel :
Boil the soaked chickpeas with a pinch of salt. Drain the water.
ADD
GREEN CHILLY - 2
CUMIN SEEDS - 1TSP
GINGER - 1"
SALT TO TASTE
FRESH CORIANDER - HANDFUL OR PARSLEY(I do not get Parsley here  )
OIL - 1 TSP
RED CHILLY FLAKES - 1 TSP (Optional)
PUT EVERYTHING IN A FOOD PROCESSOR OR MIXER AND TURN INTO FINE PASTE.

                      
Keep in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Take it out and make big lime size balls and press it. (if you are lucky to have falafel maker!! then its great) 
Keep all the the falafel ready.

Heat the OIL, fry in batches. 
I tried single falafel and it came out very good. Being a greedy person, I put 6 at a time and see what happened :
Then I fried 4 falafel at one time.


Now coming to the sandwich part, we need
Tomatoes
If you have peta bread, open half in the middle. 
Mix the hung curd and sesame seed paste and spread it on one side.


Wrap it with Kitchen tissue.

                                         

I know I have confused you with such a long post!! But recipe and the procedure is typed in blue color. Feel free to comment for any doubts or confusion!! or any suggestions!!

Keep Smiling,


9 comments:

Hayley said...

we love it too , I make most of the time in Winter...kudos to you you made tahini at home..here is the link if you want to make more tahini...http://middleeasterncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/home_made_tahini

Rach said...

I always make falafel shawarma at home:) I love it. Luckily I get all ingredients here. But, I try and make it at home ( As I feel its much healthier and tastier). I make tahini ( seasame paste) at home as well. thanks to my Lebanese frenz here, who gave me recipes for pita, tahini, hummos, falafel, etc.
Your falafel wrap looks so yummy :)

Veggie Hut said...

I love this sandwich!! loved ur indianised version..

Priya Suresh said...

Just love it..feel like grabbing..

Keri said...

Oh MY.. this looks and sounds like perfection. I think you are my new HERO or SHE ro... Love it. I would love to feature this on my blog. Do I have your permission. It will bring you traffic and good friends. Let me know, Keri a.k.a. Sam

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi
Thanks everyone,
@Sam :
Thanks for visiting my blog. You are always welcome and yes you can feature it in your blog.

Indian Khana said...

Hehe I almost don't have the things in ur list too...will try this thanks for sharing dear and it looks so yum

Deepa said...

such tasty and easy to find substitutions..looks so delicious..can I have one??

Sushma Mallya said...

loved the way you have done this one, yummy sandwiches...

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog