Sunday, June 20, 2010

Naan without using Yeast and Tandoor!!(Food Remake)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita 
Hi All,
Again one more dish from other blog!! I am sure that Blog world is a boon to  every food lover and the person who loves to cook. You get wonderful ideas, tips, unknown recipes around the world and beautiful people who loves to share the secrets of their kitchen without any hesitation. I have met many people who never give up their secrets of their special recipe. Its really funny!!! I would like to invite those people to our blogworld and see US!!! and our love towards the food world

Hey!! What am I writing??? Getting more and more involved with blogging!!! I always say "LETS GROW TOGETHER, THREE CHEERS TO BLOG WORLD" and I still do. Here, I have learnt more and more about many things, about kitchen, about food, about life.... list goes on.
Thanks to all the bloggers who shares their ideas about everything. 
Coming to the recipe,
Whenever we go out to restaurants for food, my daughter always orders for Naan or Tandoor roti. She just loves it with Chicken curry. All these days I tried my way to make Naan but never got them right till I got this recipe from Sailu of  Sailu's Kitchen  (click here for the recipe). 
One more blog I came through was Archana's recipe click here for the recipe. Archana has given the detailed photos about how to make Naan at home with the normal Cooker. It is really useful for newbies! I tried in cooker also, but I think one needs little practice to prepare in the cooker. Enjoy the photos in her blog!
But, I tried Sailu's version and followed her way of making Naan. 
Here is the recipe I followed from Sailu :
(I have tried to write down the same way she has written)
Maida or All purpose flour - 2 cups 
Warm milk - 1/2 cup
Fresh curd or yogurt  - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Baking soda - a pinch
Kalonji or Sesame seeds - 1/4 tsp on each naan to spread
Butter or ghee - 1/2 tsp on each naan to spread


  • Sieve Maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt on a wide and big plate. 
  • Make a big well in the middle. 
  • Add Sugar, milk, curd.
  • Mix slowly and gently to make it into soft dough.
  • Keep it covered with damp cloth for 2 hours. 
  • After two hours, take the dough and divide in to big lemon size balls. Dust the rolling board with maida.
  • Roll into oval shape rotis. You can press with hands also. 
  • Sprinkle Kalonji or sesame seeds and press gently.
  • Keep the tawa to heat. When it is very hot, brush one side of Naan with water and place the Naan with waterside down on tawa. Cover it with lid on high flame for 30 seconds. Open the lid and see the bubbles coming up. Take the Naan from Tawa using tong and cook the other side of the Naan directly on the flame.
  • Spread little butter and serve hot with your choice of curry. 

I prepared Egg curry with it!! The taste was just like the Naan which you get in any restaurant!!
I want to try this with Wheat flour. I will let you know, if I make and if it tastes good.
I want to thank Sailu for such a wonderful recipe. I am a regular follower of her recipes and I have tried many recipes from her blog. 
Keep Smiling,

12 comments:

Rach said...

I've tried this pan method, But I prefer the oven method. Wish I had a tandoor oven, would love it that way :) Naan looks so delicious, nice clicks :)

Rach said...

Btw, do you have a Dharwad peda recipe in your blog??? I just saw dharwad bhuthi oota, and was wondering!!! Do let me know, I love Dharwad peda :)

Veggie Hut said...

Bookmarked!! will try it for sure..

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks delicous...love tht platter....

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

I like this version of naan..not very time consuming..

BeenaShylesh said...

this is a healthy one dear....i noted ur words tht saying some people dont share there secrate in food....i kow many people like that....u have nice blog....

Priya said...

awesome recipe and very delicious too :)

Sailaja said...

That looks good, Nivedita. One can never go wrong with this super easy, home style Naan. :)

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi All,
Thanks everyone.
@Rach : I do not have recipe for Dharwad pedha! It is little bit complicated recipe to get the perfect taste. I had promised Padma also that I will give the recipe!! Sorry, but whenever I try I will let you know.
Dharwad Pedha is my all time favorite. That is one reason I am proud to be Dharwadian :-)

Vegetarian Zest said...

Some friends are coming over next weekend for dinner and i was thinking what to make...naan is there for sure and paneer subzi to go along with.

Chewy said...

I cook my Naan on a tava like this, but I flip the tava over and hold it above the flame (upside down).
because you have wet the dough, it has stuck and clings to the tava and doesn't drop.
The Naan puffs up and looks and tastes like it came from a restaurant.
Loving your recipes

Indian Restaurant said...

I have never tasted this roti. Looks really yummy and bookmarked right away. will be trying..
Indian Restaurants in Rajendra Nagar

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog