Monday, February 15, 2010

Forgotten Indian games!! (Edited and re written), Event Announcement!!

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Hurray!!! I am here with my first event!!
I took a long time to  re write this! My older post(Fogotten Indian games!!!!!!!!) got very supportive responses. But I was lazy to take it in to action.  And I was not confident enough to held an event all by myself. But the support I am getting from you all has given me that courage and confidence to do this! I am really very much excited and feeling like as if my first movie is going to release!!! Now I can empathize what actors go through before their movies releases!!! 
My first event is going to be on blog! I hope you all will support me and participate , which is totally away from cooking. So, relax and take some time. This is all about the games, we used to play during our child hood. I want all of you to relive your child hood  by remembering the olden games and playing with your kids.
In the child hood, we used to stay in a chawl. (Many houses together in a big compound, or one big lane having houses built either side of the road.) I had many friends and there was no one to stop us playing the whole day during summer vacations. We used to play many games, which are totally disappeared now a days. Lagori, Halpi, Vattappa, sarbadgi, muttata, hide and seek(stop), kabaddi, gilli dandu, aali guli mani, kuntata, bali churu(broken banlgles), Chakka vacchi, playing house house game with kitchen set and dolls, kalla police(thief and police), dum sharara, goli, writing our own script and playing the dramas.(I do not know the English names for the games, sorry!! These all are Kannada names!) I still do not remember many games.
That included, stealing pickles from the kitchen and then sharing and eating.
Collecting the ingredients for making Chigali(made up of fresh tamarind, jaggery, chilly powder, lime leaves, salt and few more!!). Then making small balls of chigali, sharing and enjoying the spicy, tangy, lemony and salty taste.
Preparing mehandi at home and applying in the evenings.
And not to forget, educational games, like writing names of four things from same alphabet, memory game, Antakshari!!!
Just a thought came in my mind!! Why we can not post all old games one by one, trying to explain it with photo(if possible) !!!
(image from here)
Simple rules to participate in the event,
1. Post any forgotten,old Indian game (If possible with photo). Explain the game and try to share maximum information you have. 
2. I will appreciate if you can place the logo in your blog.
3. Send me an email to nivedita(DOT)mt(AT)gmail(DOT)com,(nivedita.mt@gmail.com), "Forgotten Indian games" as a subject,  by March 31, 2010 with the following details,
Name :
Your Blog Name :
Name of the game :
url of your post :
Picture(if any) :
4. You could send any number of entries.
5. If any archived posts are there, please update and repost it to link back to my post.
6. Please link back to my announcement. 
7. Non bloggers can send the details to my mail.
From My side,
As this is my first event, I will try to finish up the work and come up with event round up by April 15th or before.
Start Playing!!!
(I hope you all will not disappoint me!)
( I have read more than 50 times in a preview before going to publish it!)

Keep Smiling,

22 comments:

Siri said...

Very innovative concept nivedita.. I am thinking what all games I used to play when I was a child..still thinking ;)

happy hosting dear.

Siri

Desisoccermom said...

Nivedita, a lot of games come to my mind, many of which my son will never get to play in this foriegn land. Will do a write up as soon as I can. Thanks for the inspiration.

Priya Suresh said...

WOw its has been a long i have played indian games, waiting eagerly to see the roundup already..interesting event..

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

This is a wonderful event shall write up some!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Padma said...

Nice theme Nivedita.Happy hosting :)

Nithya said...

Sounds pretty interesting. will give it a try for sure. :) All the best buddy.

Jayashree said...

Lovely idea.....

Deepa G Joshi said...

great theme..very exciting..will think of some now..will wait for the round up..i am sure this is going to an interesting event..

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely concept dear..will try to send mine

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Innovative, event. I will try to participate. Keep rocking and all the best. Thanks for remembering me in passing your awards. As there was a big gap in your post, I did not notice it. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I have added your blog also in the award list of mine. Thank you once again.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi all,
Thank you so much! for so much support, Love you all!

sra said...

I read this yesterday, not sure why I could not comment, maybe it was late! I'll have to think of a few games, I can only think of one so far, we used to play it with five stones.

Srivalli said...

Thats quite innovative Nive..will see if I can capture the games I played as a kid..

Padmajha said...

Totally new theme..Will think and send u some entries..

Nithu Bala said...

Happy hosting Dear..very innovative thought for an event..I don't know how I left this post..will send you entries..

Nithu Bala said...

I've posted the entry and also sent you the details..plz. do confirm..

Kiran said...

Hi Nivedita,first time visiting your blog.You have a very nice space with lovely recipes.I would like to send in my entry for the forgotten games.Can we send multiple games info.

jayasree said...

Lovely theme. I have had my share of fun playing some of the games you have mentioned. Though i could not understand all the kannada names, I could guess few. Hope I will be able to post before the deadline.

Nithu Bala said...

Hey, is there time still? I thought the end date is 15th..

Kiran said...

Hi Nivedita,
Sorry for not being able to send in the entries earlier.Do we still have time to send in the entries .Please let me know.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Kiran
You still have today to send your entry.

Lakshmi said...

great event Niveditha..i came here through shma Nagarajan's post..how can one forget all childhood plays like kuntabille etc which 2nd generation kids never know..
chigali..i myself forgot the name but my kids like it a lot and they call it lollypops :)..even now I send them to my my daughter and her friends who stay in hostel..
try to post mine today..wish i will not be late..

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog