Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A queen of blood meets rice and white milk!! accidentally!!!

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Are you thinking that I have started writing novel on ghosts and devils!! I always find this subject very funny and scary movies makes me laugh.( Do not tell me to watch "The Exorcist" or something like that!!!)
Yesterday, I was in a fix to fix a lunch box for my daughter. As you all know she loves to take rice, I have to plan variety of rice for a week and keep it ready in menu .
So, I checked the fridge for vegetables. I did not find anything, as I bring vegetables only in the afternoon of every Tuesday.

I checked the onion basket, thinking that I will make onion rice and send her. Then I saw these red queens sitting and talking to onions! First I hesitated to use these for rice, as I felt may be Rajul will not like the raw smell of beetroot. Then I thought of giving it a try as she likes boiled beet.

I will give you the recipe before I will tell the result!!
Here they come in line:
Rice - 1 cup or 200 gm
Beet - 1 big or 2 medium
Jeera or cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 big, cut into slices
Ginger & Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Whole garam masala - 1 tbsp crushed.
(1 cardamom, 2 cloves, few shajeera, a small piece of cinammon)
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp or more if cooking for elders
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Then comes the sweet heart of this rice, do not skip this!
Fresh coconut - either grated or small cut pieces to make coarse milk
(I am not getting proper word here, so let me explain you, take few small pieces or grated coconut, put little water and put in a blender to get coconut milk with coarse coconut. I mean, no need to make it full milk. I hope you got me!!!)
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Procedure to make:
Wash the rice and keep it to dry.
Wash, peel and grate the beets.
Heat oil in a cooker. Add jeera and onion. Fry till brown. Add ginger garlic paste and garam masala. Fry for a minute and add the beet and tomato. Its time to keep on frying the beet till it becomes dry or looks dry. Like this I thought the raw smell will go! and to check whether the smell vanished or not,  read full story.
Now add salt and chilly powder with coconut milk. Fry for half a minute.
Add the rice immediately and fry for a minute so that the red masala will get mix with the rice. 
Here is the place where the queen of blood meets the rice and white milk. So the suspense is over.
Add hot water till the rice is covered. 
Cover the lid and give 2 whistles.
The red beet rice is ready to eat!
Yes! There was no raw smell of beet anywhere! Actually no one will make out that it is prepared with beet.
This was my real invention in a hurry!!! 
Why I am calling these beet as queen of bloods?? All of us know that beet is the house of  highest contain of iron, and regenerates the red blood shells. And doctors suggests to have it more if you want increase your hemoglobin. So what will be the best way to give this to kids, without making them cry! or running and shouting behind them?
The result was, the full day,my daughter was on this rice it self. And in the school her friends took half of the rice from the box. Seeing the color of the rice, even her teacher asked her what is it made of???
Do I need more appreciation?
YES! I want the sweet comments from all my friends here. 
Sending this to silpa of Anita' s Kitchen  APS- Rice Event.







AND


Sending it again to



Keep Smiling,

16 comments:

Sandhya Hariharan said...

hi nivi....
Enjoyed reading ur post... and specially ur lingo... needless to mention abt the recipe...
Hope all is well at ur end...

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. I must say your title drew me here and I was initially wondering what are small rats doing in the pic I realised later they were beetroots. LOL.
The rice is surely a healthy one.

priya said...

wow..what a title!!...superb...rice looks really yummy n beautiful color!

Hayley said...

Really enjoyed the post and rice, wow....love the colour of it..love the beetroot, sometimes when you eat raw it's stings your throat, so it's good way to cook...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Necessity is the mother of all inventions.....Truly applies in your case. Nice presentation. Loved reading your post
Deepa
http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice post...lovely delicious rice

Rachana said...

Oh dear!!!! the title of your post really scared me...a very healthy rice dish...

lata raja said...

LOL! Rice looks too good to resist.

Priya Suresh said...

Such a fabulous beets rice...looks yumm!!enjoy reading the post..

Padma said...

Loved reading your post Nivedita. Rice looks very colorful and also very healthy.

Siddhi Shirsat said...

hi nivedita...this is my first visit to ur blog...u hv a lovely blog with awesome recipes...And the description u give of the recipes is awesome, loved it dear...this beet rice luks realy very tempting, nice recipe...u made it really innovative...n the title is superb...Hey i am following u so that i can track all ur future recipes and visit them n comment.

http://siddhiscookingexperiences.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Bumped in here for the first time,felt really amazing...u have nice space here...

Beet rice looks really delicious and colorful..Catchy title by the way...

Malar Gandhi said...

THats a wonderfully written post' I call it 'blood rice' too:) Nice comforting meal:)

Anonymous said...

i hooped to ur blog, looking at the blog post title..beetroots taste awesome when cooked with masalas..i hav a version in my blog too.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi All
Thank you so much for the lovely comments!
I am very happy to read all the comments.

KrithisKitchen said...

Wow this one yummy looking rice!

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog