Sunday, July 10, 2011

Falafel Sandwich (Indianised)(Re posted)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
"Sandwich" I love the word itself. Any type of sandwich is accepted by my body :-) I prefer having brown bread sandwich than white bread, as it leaves me guilt free.
Other than breads, Chapati sandwiches are my favorite too. Falafel Sandwich and Shawarma sandwich were my favorite when I was in UAE and it was very regular for us to have once a week. I used to enjoy both the sandwiches at a time :-)
Falafel sandwiches are vegetarial and Shawarma sandwiches are prepared using roasted chicken..
I miss UAE very much for these two. I have tried making Falafel sandwiches many times, but to get Shawarma sandwiches is not possible.( here in India too, we have Shawarma centers, but not that unique, juicy, salady (?) taste is possible here)

Coming to my own Falafel sandwich recipe, you must read the whole recipe. I am re posting it for the event.
Click Falafel Sandwich (Indianised) for original post:
This sandwich is prepared with the ingredients which are all replaced for original recipe :-) Read to check it.



The things I DID NOT HAD were,
1. Garlic paste
2. Olive oil
3. Tahina or sesame paste
4. Pita Bread
5. Salad leaves
6. and the ready vegetable pickles!!!!!
I am giving here my version:

WHAT I TRIED TO REPLACE FOR

1. GARLIC PASTE : I did not had garlic paste, and my daughter does not like Mayonnaise,  So I went for HUNG CURD. I took a teaspoon of Garlic Juice and mixed with hung curd. 
2. I used the NORMAL COOKING OIL

3. TAHINA : My husband had brought it from UAE, but the expiry date was done, I did not had any option. Then I thought of soaking the sesame seeds(2 tbsp) in hot water for half an hour and grind it into paste with one green chilly and little oil. My Tahina was ready.
4.PITA BREAD : I prepared normal Maida chapatis, you can use wheat chapati also.
5. SALAD LEAVES : We do not get salad leaves here. So I settled down with CABBAGE LEAVES, SHREDDED FINELY.
6. READY VEG. PICKLES : I CUT FEW CARROT, CUCUMBER AND RADISH IN TO THIN LONG STRIPS, SOAKED THESE IN SALT AND VINEGAR FOR FEW HOURS!!!
Now is the time for Falafel :
Boil the soaked chickpeas with a pinch of salt. Drain the water.
ADD
GREEN CHILLY - 2
CUMIN SEEDS - 1TSP
GINGER - 1"
SALT TO TASTE
FRESH CORIANDER - HANDFUL OR PARSLEY(I do not get Parsley here  )
OIL - 1 TSP
RED CHILLY FLAKES - 1 TSP (Optional)
PUT EVERYTHING IN A FOOD PROCESSOR OR MIXER AND TURN INTO FINE PASTE.
Keep in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Take it out and make big lime size balls and press it. (if you are lucky to have falafel maker!! then its great) 
Keep all the the falafel ready.
Heat the OIL, fry in batches. 
Now coming to the sandwich part, we need


Tomatoes
If you have peta bread, open half in the middle. 
Mix the hung curd and sesame seed paste and spread it on one side.
Wrap it with Kitchen tissue.
It tasted 99% the same as original falafel sandwich minus the salad leaves.


Sending this to 
Announcing Sandwich Mela which is currently ON in Valli's blog.



Keep Smiling,

12 comments:

Oriyarasoi said...

Very inviting and filling sandwich!!! Evn i prefer the chappati sandwiches over the bread ones...

kitchen queen said...

yum yum I too remember Dubai when it comes to falafel which I used to have once in a while there and it is my favourite too.

Raks said...

I have not tried falafel so far but wanted to try last month but had no stock of withe sesame.:( Sure want to try out and this sandwich sounds like a great idea Nive...nice repost for the event!

Lena Jayadev said...

wowww.. what a thought to make something in which you dnt have most of thye ingredients.. hats off... its really r8 that u tried ur version :0

Ramya said...

One healthy wrap:-) lovely falafels!!

KrithisKitchen said...

So very delightful... Healthy and satisfying..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Roundup: Healing Foods - Banana
Event: Serve It - Grilled/Barbequed/Tandoored

Mina Joshi said...

Love falafel wraps.

Unknown said...

Yum, yum, delicious :)

Srivalli said...

Very interesting one Nive, thanks for sending it for the event.

Sweet Artichoke said...

This indianised version of fallafel sounds and looks very delicious! Makes me sooo hungry now :-)

Charenn29 said...

i love to try this recipe/

Shish kebab said...

Falafel sandwich is a popular recipe from Middle East, consists of chickpeas that are shaped into patties.
Falafel sandwich

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog