Monday, March 22, 2010

Musk Melon, Choice is yours!!! Juice or Milk shake!

All of you might be wondering that why am I  posting the juice recipes. My interest on trying juices is increasing everyday as the Summer is in here!!! I do not like any fizzy drinks or soft drinks, ready drinks or cold drinks. I avoid giving these to my kids too. All these years, I was happy with cold water during the Summer season.


But, when I entered Madhuri's event, I went on thinking about the juices we can make easily at home! Many juices in the mind!! Let me see how much  my internet, the time, my kids will allow me to make juices and shakes before the event reaches the last date, and how much I can post the recipes. But, for sure, I will keep on trying juices from everything and make you people drink it too!!! 
Today is the Musk Melon day!
In my house, during our childhood, Musk Melon was the regular fruit. It was a must fruit on Shivrathri. Even though I know the juice will be tastier, I never tried it before.
Musk Melon is widely known as 'Cantaloupe'.  It is a summer fruit. Being rich in Vitamin C, an antioxidant, muskmelons have been believed to be good for preventing heart diseases and cancer. ... Read more here to know about more health benefits from this fruit.
There are two types of Musk Melon. One is bigger size and the other one is small. This time, I got the small ones in local market. I did not time or patience to wait for the bigger one and try the juices. So I took two small musk melons and came home.
Taking mom's version,  Instead of eating it, I tried these juices and within no time, my both daughters finished it. And they both enjoyed it having it in the same bowl made with the skin of the fruit.
That side is Musk melon milk shake, and this side is musk melon juice. The middle bowl is the seeds which you can sun dry and have it! Tastes great! 
First, giving you the recipe for MUSK MELON MILK SHAKE,
Musk Melon - 1 small,  washed, peeled and cubed
Sugar - 3 to 4 tbsp or check the sweetness of the fruit and add the sugar
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cardamom  powder - a pinch
Almond and Pista powder - 1 tbsp 
(I always keep this powder ready at home. I add it to bread jam, chapati and dosa when giving to my kids)
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Add cubed melon, sugar, milk in a juicer and turn to juice. Strain in a glass. Mix the powders and keep in the fridge for some time before you serve. 
Makes one glass only (as the melon is small).

Second, giving you the recipe for MUSK MELON JUICE,
Musk Melon - 1 small,  washed, peeled and cubed
Jaggery - 1/4 cup, (again, check the sweetness of the fruit before adding the jaggery)
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Almond and Pista powder - 1 tbsp (optional)
Mix everything in a juicer and churn it to juice. 
It is better to have it immediately. It will turn black and will not taste good, if you keep it for a longer time.



Makes one glass only (as the melon is small).




Sending this to Madhuri's event  Serve me Some...  


Sending it to  Dr.Sameena's  event




Keep Smiling, 

14 comments:

Aruna Manikandan said...

Nice healthy drink dear :-)
Must give a try...

kitchen queen said...

refreshing and appetising.

Pavithra Srihari said...

have never tried it with almond powder. This am sure tastes deadly with almond powder.

Sushma Mallya said...

So nicely u have made it as a bowl,very nice one,best when chilled

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice drink.. perfect for this summer...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Refreshing and perfect for the event

Hayley said...

Lovely and refreshing drink!! me too, not fan of fizzy drinks..

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! very refreshing..cute presentation..

Deepa G Joshi said...

such a refreshing drink during these summers..

Priya Suresh said...

Such a tempting and refreshing drink...looks prefect for coming summer..

Anu said...

Nice and healthy drink..

Unknown said...

CAntaloupe juice sounds like a great way to welcome summer. Love the way you served it.

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

This a must have fruit during summer. It refreshes me instantly.

Unknown said...

A very Happy Birthday to you..Thanks for dropping by our blog...Wow never thought of musk-melon milkshake...shall surely give it a try..following you.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog