Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Mangoes! Mangoes!! everywhere! I love mangoes! who doesn't?? Its always fun for me to try new recipes with Mango. This chutney I made yesterday back was just too yummy to finish!!! yes, I did not wanted to finish it fast so kept on nibbling like a mouse(nibbling the cheese).
Its the usual method which is prepared in each house. But this time it tasted some thing special.
Here is the recipe I want to give before I forget as I just went on adding the ingredients (imagining the taste) available in front of me :-)
Two days back, we got mangoes from our trees in the garden. Mom ordered to keep the good mangoes to make pickle. I used the broken mango to make this chutney.
Raw Mango - 1, big
To roast with 1 tsp oil
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Chana dal - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Dry coconut - 1/4 cup, grated
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp(optional, but I love it)
Ginger - 1/2", cleaned and chopped
Dry coriander seeds - ONLY 4 TO 6 SEEDS
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - handful
Dry red chilly - 1
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Hing - stoned- one pepper size or a pinch of powder
Oil - 1tsp
Water to make the chutney wet, may be few drops or just 1/4 cup
- Wash and peel the mango, cut into cubes or grate it.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan,
- Start adding the things the way I have written down the ingredients. Slowly roasting one by one till red chilly.
- Once everything is roasted well and you get nice aroma, Add the mango, fry for a minute and remove from the fire.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add all the ingredients and grind into a coarse paste, adjust the seasoning and grind again but keep it coarse.
- The raw mango chutney is ready to serve..
Yesterday I ate it with Jowar Dosa for breakfast, I ate with chapati for lunch and I had with hot rice for dinner.
And again today morning I had it with Thalipeeth, still saved it for tomorrow(Ants are great inspiration for me :-)) My friend saved the chutney by coming as I prepared Chinese food and I had no option to eat it :-)
Have I gone mad??? no I have gone mango :-))))))