Friday, November 2, 2012

DAL DHOKLI (ಖಾರ ಬೇಳೆ ಗಡಬು)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
One of my comfort food. I love this any time. But always enjoyed it for the dinner. Easy, quick, tasty, healthy.. what else we want?
This is known as Dal Dhokli in Gujarat, we call it "kharbele kadabu" in Kannada. It was a long time that I made this. The other day, when I really felt like having it, I made it immediately. I thought my daughters and hubby will not like it.. But it got over as soon as it was served.. 


There are two ways to make it, actually 3 ways.. One is with dal, one is without dal, and either cook it directly in a pot or give one whistle in a cooker. All taste good, but I love the dal one and  in cooker.


Ingredients:
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt a pinch of
Oil - 1 tsp
Water to make chapati dough.
PREPARE THE DOUGH AND KEEP IT ASIDE.

For the dal
Boiled dal(Toor) - 1/4 cup
(if you do not have boiled dal, soak the dal for half an hour before making)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp(both are optional)
Onion - 1 big, chopped finely
Curry leaves - few
Green chilly - 1 slit
Garlic (crushed)- 6 to 8 cloves(optional)
Tomato - 1 small chopped
Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Haldi - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp, chopped finely
Water - 1 to 2 cups

Method
Take the dough and roll into medium thick chapati.
Cut into small squares or diamonds and keep aside.
Take small cooker and heat it.
Add oil. When hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds(if adding), curry leaves, green chilly and garlic.
Saute for some time.
Add the onion and fry till golden brown.
Add the dal and mix well.
Add tomato, tamarind paste, red chilly powder, haldi, salt. 
Mix well and cook for few minutes.
Add water and wait it to boil.
Add the chapati dough bites. Mix slowly and cover the cooker and give one whistle.
Allow it to cool. 
Add ghee and serve hot..


Keep Smiling,

9 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Cant agree more, a comfort food.

Shama Nagarajan said...

super delicious...join me in Fast food - Vermicilli event.

Swarna said...

Wow love to try this out.
Have heard about this from my MIL.
May be you can add more pics while cooking that would make your blog more colorful.

Mina Joshi said...

I love dal dhokli too. I make my dhokli with a mixture of besan and chapati flour.

Sravs said...

Delicious one !!! Looks so wonderful !!!

Supriya and Deepa said...

Thank you for sharing your content. Thought you'd be interested in a similar space. Do check out culture and cooking blog Aalayam - http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com/

Supriya and Deepa said...

Thank you for sharing your content. Thought you'd be interested in a similar space. Do check out culture and cooking blog Aalayam - http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely. I have never heard of such a dish. Looks like its a one pot meal when you can have the dal and the chappati in one go!

Shobha

Asha said...

That's interesting recipe, new to me..very healthy.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog