Friday, November 29, 2013

RAAGI ROTTI(NAACHNI FLOUR CRISPY FLAT BREAD)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
After few months I am writing about other recipe than for PPCS. Sorry people, it was tough time to manage whole lot of things at one time. I will make it a point to post at least one recipe each week. Gone are the days where I used to post 4 to 5 posts in a week.
Today I am here with a very healthy recipe. In Kannada there is a proverb "raagi tindavanu nirogi" means the person who eats raagi everyday will never get any diseases. And yes, thats very true, my own experience and have seen people who are having no health issues. I have seen people recovering from many chronic diseases. They say its good to have Raagi Ganji in the morning for breakfast. But I don't have that patience and may be I will not like it that much, bland ganji!!!


So, making it little interesting, and turning it into an item song from a normal one, I followed the Thaali peeth! (Masala Rotti) recipe and made these crispy raagi rotis. Its not new nor I invented it, its very regular in our villages. I am just adding it in my blog with few clicks. May be my grand mother will laugh if she reads this, as it is a very regular food for her. 
Coming to the recipe,
To make 4 normal size rottis :
Ingredients :
Raagi Flour - 1 cup(either you used the store one, or if you have a chance make it at home which is again time consuming, I used the store one)
Wheat flour - 1 tbsp
Rice flour - 2 tbsp(to make the roti crispy)
Salt to taste
Onion - 1 big or 2 small, finely chopped
Green chilly - 2, finely chopped
Fresh curry leaves and coriander - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hot water - 1/2 cup or less

To roast:
oil - 1 to 2 tsp for each rotti

Method:
Take everything except hot water and oil in a big wide bowl.
Mix well. Add half of the hot water and mix well, check if you can make the soft dough with it. Or else add some more or sprinkle (exact word!) water to make the dough just soft. 
Make the tawa hot,
Take foil and cut into a two palm square size.
Keep the foil on a platform or roti making plate
apply 1/2 tsp of oil on it and spread it.
Take one small ball size of dough, keep on the foil and slowly press it to give the normal roti size. 
You can apply some water to your fingers to make the work fast.
Once the tawa is hot, sprinkle half tea spoon of oil on it, 
Take the foil and invert it on the tawa. wait for 10 seconds, Slowly remove the foil so that it leaves the rotti on tawa.
fry for half a minute and turn it on the other side. Add another tea spoon of oil so that it gets crisp.
Fry it till it gets crisp(may 2 to 3 minute)
Remove and repeat with other dough.

Serve hot with ghee, pickle, curds and papad with onion, don't want any thing!! have it just like that. 

Keep Smiling, 

20 comments:

Smita Hodiggeri said...

Hi Nivedita,

Thanks for the recipe.I have been
having problems in getting CRISPY
rootis. I tried adding more Rice flour but that doesnt help.
Could you please suggest a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
Smita V.H

Smita Hodiggeri said...

Hi Nivedita,

Thanks for the recipe.I have been
having problems in getting CRISPY
rootis. I tried adding more Rice flour but that doesnt help.
Could you please suggest a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
Smita V.H

Smita Hodiggeri said...

Hi Nivedita,

Thanks for the recipe.I have been
having problems in getting CRISPY
rootis. I tried adding more Rice flour but that doesnt help.
Could you please suggest a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
Smita V.H

Ritu Tangri said...

This healthy roti has come at a right time. I was thinking of including some healthy grains in my diet. Let me start with this roti :)

Vidya Narayan said...

Ragi has great health benefits and it should be a part of our daily diet in some way or the other. We make this at home too for breakfast and totally love it. Great share!

Freda said...

These ragi rotis are so healthy, they look lovely! Really good for kids!

Sonal said...

Such a nutritious and healthy recipe dear! Love how you have added all the details. Superb share!!
Love
Sonal

Sharmila kingsly said...

Healthy Roti.. I always add drumstick leaves to this and try ..

Ruchi's Veg Kitchen said...

Ragi rotis are really healthy and super food for kids. Thanks a brilliant share

Simplyfood said...

I have some ragi flour so will definitely try this healthy and tasty roti. What is the best curry to serve with it.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Nayna,
Usually this is served with coconut chutney or fresh curds.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Smita,
rolling it into thin flat rotti and cooking on low flame for a longer period will make these rotis crisp.

Mayuri Patel said...

I'm at the moment into trying to add millets to my diet. So this roti is the right kind I would like to try out. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hayley said...

I love this recipe of yours and you know that I always make Ragi roti your way:) simply delicious!

jayashree said...

Recently I too made this, we all liked it. My version is slighly different. Healthy and tasty.

Unknown said...

Loved this healthy roti, I have ragi flour in my pantry, will give it a try !

cookingwithsapana said...

I once tried ragi dosa and totally loved it. The roti with ragi flour looks healthy and tasty too.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Such a healthy and nutritious breakfast! I love to include multigrain and millet flours in our regular cooking!! Will try this Ragi thalipeeth style some day!!

mildly indian said...

I love your recipe... it takes a lot of practise to get them right. Well presented

Lathiya said...

Love this healthy dish... perfect breakfast with some spicy chutney

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog