Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Are you thinking I have gone RAW? ;-), But when I think of Nutritious food, only raw food comes in my mind. Its natural and its directly prepared by God. Am I right?
Today I am introducing you our king of raw food, King of Vegetables; ASH GOURD. Don't get confused with Aishwarya Rai Bachhan. I am talking about Natural beautiful vegetable.
Enough of jokes now.
I never knew the benefits about this veggie, I always saw this was used during poojas at home especially on house warming day. And I really thought that only Brahmins(or who comes for doing puja) should eat it. That is how it was, after puja they used to take it home.
Only after I joined SSY course, I realized the importance of its benefits. From then, it has become a part of my menu in some or the other way. I wait to use this in my preparation
I make juice with it, I make salad with it, I add it in sambhar, I make ash gourd fry.... The list goes on.
Taking it in the morning in the form of juice by adding the equal quantity of water to it is the best for many healthy reasons. Season it with very little salt and pepper(optional). (This and beetroot juice are too potent to be taken alone and need to be diluted with equal quantity of water)
I have a 2 page notes on its benefits which I took it during my course.
I tried to find out the benefits of this from net, because its the evidence to prove my love for this veggie.
Coming to today's recipe,
Its simple, easy and healthy and NUTRITIOUS. So what are you waiting for?
Ash gourd - 1 cup, cleaned, peeled, de seeded
Cucumber - 1 small, cleaned and peeled
Fresh yogurt or curds - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper powder - 1 tsp or chopped
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
a dash of hing
Curry leaves few
Urad dal - 1 tsp(optional)
Red dry chilly - 1 cut into small pieces
- Take one cup ash gourd. Either grate it or churn it in a mixer just for half a minute. I prefer the latter one.
- Keep it aside.
- Cut the cucumber in to small cubes.
- Take yogurt in a serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to it. Mix well. Add the ash gourd and cucumber. Mix well and refrigerate for some time(if you have)
- Till that,
- heat oil in a small pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add urad dal and allow to change the color.
- Add curry leaves, hind and red dry chilly.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Add it to the ready salad.
- Serve cold with chapati or rice.
- The other day I had it with khara pongal :-)
WILL COME WITH DIFFERENT NUTRITIOUS FOOD IN THE NEXT POST FOR THIS EVENT. (THIS TIME NOT RAW FOR SURE)
Linking it to Eat Nutritious, Feel fabulous