Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jowar rotti(Jolada rotti)





Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi all,

Jowar (Millet) rotti (ಜೋಳದ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ)is very common in North Karnataka.(They call Bhakkari also for this rotti.)
It is a healthy food. Back in India, in my house we eat both the times. And there is always full one box of crispy and thin rottis(In Hubli - Dharwad we call it "kataka rotti"(ಕಟಕ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ) or "birasa rotti"(ಬಿರಸ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ), which we can have with different types of chutney powder and curds.
But to make this rotti is little tricky and comes only by practice. I always remember a lady “Mallavva” who used to come to make rottis in my house and I am thankful to her that she taught me to make rottis. She always used to say, Man is born before all these things, so nothing is impossible.
Here is the recipe:
Jowar flour - 1 cup
Salt -1 tsp
Water – 1 cup (to make dough)
A square piece of cloth
Keep water in a vessel to boil. Add salt to it. Take Jowar flour in a big plate or wide vessel. Add little boiling water slowly to the flour and add little cold water and make the dough ready. It is not sticky like chapatti atta. It will be little softer. When you take it in hand and press it will spread easily. Keep little warm water in a vessel with cloth piece ready.
Now take a big lemon size and press it slowly to make it round. Spread little Jowar atta on the platform where you want to make rottis. Keep the flattened ball and slowly start patting. This is the tricky thing. You should be moving it circular while patting.(I don’t know whether “patting” is right word or not?). Again the tricky thing comes, to take it in hand and put it on hot tawa. Be very careful while doing this, otherwise rotti will be into pieces. After putting rotti in tawa, immediately spread little water with soaked cloth piece on the upper part. After few minutes, turn the rotti and just cook other side. You can press it with spatula to be sure that it’s cooked properly.
Remove and serve hot.
But I like to eat one day old rotti.

Keep smiling,

4 comments:

Myvegfare said...

hi nivedita, I love jolad rotti yesterday I made, I remember jolad rottis from Kamat yatri nivas with badanekaayi yennagai, never miss it, yes it is quite tricky and i sometimes use my rolling pin to spread it, they look very nice

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Love it,several times tried it but could not suceed in making thin jonnarottelu..

Nivedita Thadani said...

hey Jayasri,
Thanks for visiting.
Yes, I love the combo you have told here.
@ Kanthiji,
I know its very tricky to make thin rottis. but I was fortunate enough to learn at very young age, actually its a custom in North Karnataka for a girl to learn it before marriage (Before, not now for sure, I know :-)
)

Sujay Raj said...

Hi mam,

I from Chennai. I dont get Corn Flour here. Instead we have cornstarch. I tried to make a dough with this. But not succeeded. Can I add some wheat flour to cornstarch and make a dough? will that work?

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog