Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chigali (Tamarind lolly pop) for Forgotten Indian Games

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Summer is in. All the children are waiting for the vacation. During our childhood, the whole year we used to wait for this long holidays which lasted for more than 2 months. Every year, the postman used to bring the result on April 10. We all used to roam the whole area to search the postman! And once we spot him, we used to attack him!! Poor man!!! But he always gave our result without scolding us! He knew our tension!
We used to play lot of games and have lot of things to eat! In those, this Chigali or Tamarind lolly pop was very popular. We all used to enjoy the tangy, spicy taste of this lolly pop. We all children used to bring each ingredient from our house. Then a elder one in our group used to prepare it.If you don't have mortar and pestle, you can try in a blender or grinder. But it tastes good if you use mortar and pestle.

Ingredients are very simple and easily available at home.

Fresh Tamarind - 1 bowl, clean, remove seeds.
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 lines
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder - 1 to 2 tbsp
Jaggery - 2 tbsp
Lemon leaves - few(Optional, if you have lime tree near by!)

First make the tamarind little soft then add all other ingredients. Crush is till the tamarind becomes full soft and other ingredients blend with it nicely. 
Tamarind lolly pop or CHIGALI is ready to eat. We used to stick the balls to neem sticks or match stick or small spoon. We used to enjoy it for very long time, some times more than two hours!!! 


I am still waiting for your participation for my event!! Rush in your entries!!

I am sending this to  PJ's (Seduce Your Tastebuds ongoing event Think Spice - Tamarind, which is a brain child of   Sunitha  of Sunita's World.


 So I am linking this post to Sunita's Think spice page. I hope every one will enjoy these lolly pops!!

Keep Smiling,

20 comments:

priya said...

ur making my mouth water!!!..yumm

Soma Pradhan said...

very very new to me..

Hayley said...

Wow..nive, my mouth is watering..used to love amli when I was little girl..mum used to think where is all the tamarind is going?..:-))

kitchen queen said...

looks nice cute and tangy.

Nilabh said...

Hey Nivedita,

Great recipe, shall try it this week-end. My wife is from the North India and she is new to all these items. Last week I tried Girmitt and she did not like the taste, let us see if she likes Chigali

Incidentally I love cooking and keep redaing your blogs.

Any hints on improving the taste of Girmitt.

Nilabh said...

Hey Nivedita, Thank you for the lovely recipe, shall try it this week-end. My wife is from North India and she is new to all these items. Last week I tried Girmitt and she did not like the taste, let us see if she likes Chigali

Incidentally I love cooking and keep reading your blogs.

Any hints on improving the taste of Girmitt, I would love to try it again.

Veggie Hut said...

mouthwatering!!

Sarah Naveen said...

Interestingly new recipe ...looks so yummy!!

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! Chigali..took me to my childhood days..

Nivedita Thadani said...

@ Nilabhji
I am happy that you like my blog!
Now, to improve the taste of girmit, it depends on your liking. If you like spicy food, add chopped green chilly, if you do not like raw onion, you can fry onions with very little oil. You can add more fresh coriander. Hey, and you can add raw mango and grated carrot.
I hope you will try it and let me know!

Unknown said...

Love the tamarind loly pops.

Unknown said...

Luv the loly pops...tamarind makes my tongue melt :)...

SE said...

ohhh ..love these...just brings back those old days...my goodness..we used to roam in the fields all during the summers with these lollipops...

Deepa said...

slurrpp, tamarind lolly pops..look so mouth watering..

Priya Suresh said...

Never heard about this tamarind lollypop, truly tempting..

Hari Chandana P said...

looks tangy n tempting... soooo cute!!!!

Jocuri sport said...

your post is very nice post and discussed for impotant kitchen rules thanks for this posting.

Unknown said...

hi this is seema honahalli i am an indian and right now staying in USA.i am from a town place gadag.we used to have it in our childood.now here i dont get it i am feeling like crying.

Nivedita Thadani said...

@Seema,
Thanks for visiting me.
Gadag is very near to Hubli. Nice to hear from you.
even you can make it at home now also. I think you get all the things in US.
Keep visiting and leave your sweet comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nivedita,
Thanks for putting the 'Chigali' recipe online, keeping the folk food snacks live in this digital age... If you any other recipe like this please shares :)
- Pradeep Revan

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog