Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tri Colored Chapatis and Tomato Chutney!

Tried and tasted by Nivedita 
Hi All,
Colorful food!!! We all get attracted towards colorful food. Here is the recipe for colorful chapati! My mom and me prepared it together. She loves to try new food and always supports me with my cooking ideas. 
She prepares it for kids parties or some get together functions. 
I will directly go to the recipe as the procedure is long. But I have taken the step by step photos. It will be easy for me to write the recipe and easy for you to follow it to make.
Step 1 :
Ingredients required :
Wheat flour - 1 bowl each for 3 vegetables.
Spinach - 2 big bunch
(I used only one, as I had only one with me)
Carrot - 2 big
Beet root - 1 big
Salt to taste for each dough
Oil for each dough
Be careful about using chilly as it is mainly served for kids. 
Green chilly - 1 for spinach
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp for beet root
Orange color chilly - 1 (optional if you have) 
or skip it.
Oil to fry chapatis.
Step 2:
1. Wash, clean, chop and boil the spinach for few minutes. Remove and put in the cold water for a minute. Strain and puree it with the hands. Do not use blender as it will be watery and needs more flour.
2. Wash, clean and boil the carrot and beetroot separately. (I cooked in the cooker for 2 whistles.)
Mash the carrot and puree it again with the hands. 
3. Grate the beetroot with small grater and keep it aside.


Step 3 :
Take 3 plates or big bowls.
1. Take one cup of wheat flour. Add pureed spinach, crushed green chilly, salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
2. Take another cup of wheat flour in one more plate. Add mashed carrot, crushed orange chilly(if using), salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
3 . Take 3rd cup of wheat flour in third plate. Add Grated beetroot, Red chilly powder, salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
Be careful about adding water  when making the dough. 
Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.

Step 4 :
Make long rolls with each dough. Like this :
Step 5 :
Follow the photo to keep the rolls on each other :


Step 6 :
Slowly cut the roll into equal pieces :
Step 7 :
Gently press the pieces.

Step 8 :
Roll each piece into chapatis.

Step 9 :
Fry each chapati with little oil.  And chapatis are ready to eat.
 

Now for the Tomato chutney :
Raw or green tomato - 3 medium, cleaned, chopped
Green chilly - 2 or less if for kids
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Curry leaves -few
Garlic - 6 cloves
Jaggery - 1 tbsp or more depending on the sourness of tomato

Fry all the ingredients together for 5 minutes and keep it to cool.

Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander - 1 tbsp
Add the fried ingredients with fresh coconut, salt, fresh coriander and put it into blender to make into fine paste. 
Tomato chutney is ready.

Sending this to Srivalli's monthly event "Kid's Delight,". And this month's theme is 


I am sending this to 
Providing the link back to Cilantro's page as per the rule.

Keep Smiling,

21 comments:

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

OH MY GOD..Tremendous work dear... Great..

Lakshmi said...

woww I never come across this kind before..really delight for kids..will try some day..

Indian Khana said...

Navi this is really cool...I saw once this in tv too...looks so attractive sure a healthy kids delight :)

Priya Suresh said...

Very catchy, kids will definitely love this chapatis..yumm!!delicious tomato chutney to enjoy too.

Sanjeeta kk said...

A very healthy kids lunch box treat. Must try.

Vegetarian Zest said...

I love this technique.

Pavithra Srihari said...

oh man !!! hats off to ur efforts da ... When I saw it in dashboard I thought u have made three different colors chappatis.. But 3 colors in one chappathi , i have not even imagined in my wildeest dreams ... superb

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Nivedita,
That is really very creative idea... colouful at the same time healthy too. I will send my entry for your on going event. Don't lose hope dear. Happy hosting :-)

Keep in touch
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Nithya said...

Thats tooo creative dear. Looks interesting. :)

Desisoccermom said...

That is beautiful. Forget kids, even I will eat this. :)

Desisoccermom said...

That is beautiful. Forget kids, even I will eat this. :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow..superb idea dear..good one

Hayley said...

Wow Nive...really colourful and very healthy treat! I made few days back spinch roti with paneer kofta..we all loved it! check out my new post..

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

Very creative..nice way to entertain kids....

kitchen queen said...

Wow! what colourful chapathis with a step by step demo attractive for kids..

Unknown said...

Nivedita, amazing, simply amazing. Wonderful explaining and what a fantastic colorful little chapatis. I have prepared separately colored chapatis, but this mixed one, is just mind-blowing. What a patience and great end result :)

sonaramji said...

i can never imagine doing like this.you have lot of patience. wonderful work.

Srivalli said...

Wow thats is really beautiful!..you have some patience..thanks for sending the entries Nive..

Jaleela Kamal said...

really very creative and fantastic chaptis.

Shilpa said...

Beautiful tutorial Nivedita. I am sure your kids must be loving it. I can't wait my son to grow up a bit and enjoy these.

shail said...

great nivedita..visiting ur blog for first time.i ocassionally make spinach parantha or poori or carrot one..bt doin everything together is beautiful. good presentation as well. i m sure kids wud love them.

shail

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog