Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ghee(Clarified Butter)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Can I write here I love Ghee!!! I love it, I can drink it. It is a basic ingredient in Indian food. It gives royal touch to the food. It is a main thing in auspicious functions.
The ghee is prepared by butter. The butter is prepared by cream. The cream is by milk, the milk is by cow.....
Hehe, this is what I teach my kids. I always use it in their food, with chapati or rice or bread. A tbsp ghee everyday keeps you healthy. 
I always like to have home made ghee as its aroma makes me hungry! And it tastes really good. I missed making home made ghee when I was in UAE. Now again I started making it at home.
Most of the blogs too have a recipe to make this ghee. Here is my share,
To get the cream, the milk should be very thick. 
The milk should be boiled on very low flame to get thick layer of cream. Cool the milk and then remove the cream. 
Collect it in a steel or glass jar or box with lid. Boil the milk two or three times in a day to get more cream.
Always store this cream in the refrigerator as we need to keep it for a week.
After second day, add 1 tsp of curds or yogurt. Mix properly. Keep on storing the cream for a week. Mix the cream every alternative day.
After one week or when the jar is full,
Transfer it into a deep, round with narrow mouth. Add 1/2 cup of sour curds. Mix well. Keep it outside for 12 to 15 hours.
Its always better to make the butter early in the morning. 
Before, I always had wooden churner to make the butter. But now a days I use hand mixer. Its easy and quick way to get the butter. Stop in between while churning or using hand mixer. Other wise, the heat produced will melt the butter which is forming. After 5 minutes, you will see the cream turning into small balls. Keep on mixing in between to join those small balls into big one. Take little butter in between in your fingers and rub it. If you feel its soft and smooth, then the butter is done. Or continue churning for some more time.
Keep it in the fridge for 15 minutes. 
Remove it out. Gather the butter in to a ball shape. 
Put it in good water. Wash it twice to remove the sour taste.
Transfer into a thick bottomed steel vessel.

Keep on medium flame till it melts fully. Then on low fame till it stops bubbling and giving out a nice aroma.You will see the burnt cream(which failed to turn into butter). 
Remove from the heat. 

Keep it covered for few minutes. 
Sieve it into a glass jar after when it is warm. Do not make it cold or else you can not sieve the ghee.
The ghee is ready. You can store it for 15 days if kept outside. And for a month(If it remains) if stored in Refrigerator.

Sending this to 

 Back to basics  held by Jaya of  Desi Soccer Mom 


Keep Smiling,

16 comments:

Hayley said...

wow Nive !
you done a great effort to make ghee at home.. I don't have that much patience, I just buy readymade butter and make it..lol...I love ghee aroma..I made 3-4 days ago to use in my peda...

Nivedita Thadani said...

Thats quick Jagruti,
Thanks
Yes I have patience for that at least as I do not like market ghee taste. And I enjoy making it.

Mina Joshi said...

Gosh homemade ghee sound wonderful. My MIL used to make it. Like Jagruti - I just buy the butter and make the ghee when I need it.

Akila said...

Wow that was really a step by step procedure dear....

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving your valuable and lovable comments...

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hello Minaji,
Even I used to bring salt less butter and used to make ghee when I was in UAE. I always used LUPARK OR LURPAK butter to make ghee. It taste very near to home made ghee.

Thanks Akila

RV said...

Amma makes ghee the same way by adding curds. This is very detailed recipe Nive. Great post.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

I too make ghee at home and I have one in my drafts

Hari Chandana P said...

very nice post nivedita.. thanks for sharing !!

shifa firoz said...

i dint know hvg a spoon of ghee a day is healthy :) will make this soon as i hv some cream :)

aipi said...

i too make ghee at home.. the store bought one can never beat the nice aroma n the delicate taste of the home made ghee.. mmmm..
nicely presented, loved your step by step procedure.

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

WOW fabulous post about ghee of which I am a die hard fan:),I used to make ghee from scratch when I was in Pune,now I am using organic unsalted butter which is very tasty and similar to homemade one but nothing can beat the joy of collecting cream from milk and making it into aromtic ghee...thanks for sharing lol

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I know how aromatic the entire kitchen would smell when ghee is made!!! But unfortunately its been ages since I had or made ghee!!! Well your post is provoking!!! I missed a lotta posts shall catch up soon!!!

Dori said...

Wow, this is amazing... You have even made the butter from scratch! The only thing, you didn't milk the cow! LOL ... I will have to try this at least once, thanks for sharing :)

Nivedita Thadani said...

@ Messo,
I did that also, when I was in school.
I went to village for holidays and I enjoyed milking the cow very much!
LOL

Mona said...

Wonderful post on Ghee! Loved going through it in such detail.

Varada said...

I can almost smell ghee from this post. I remember my mom's aroma filled kitchen as you mention this.

Lovely!

Hey on a side note, this week is being celebrated as "Joy of Giving Week". Check out details on http://mealtimes.blogspot.com/2010/09/joy-of-giving-week-sep-26-to-oct-2-2010.html and see how you can help... Thanks a bunch :)

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog