Monday, July 5, 2010

Ginna (First Milk Halwa)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Are you thinking that what is this First milk? This is the first milk taken from cow just after the delivery and normally it is known as Colostrum. While browsing for more information, I got this link, where it says, this colostrum helps the human immune system tackleviruses, including HIV and H1N1.

During my childhood, milkman used to supply the milk. There were no packet milk. Milkmen used to bring the milk in big aluminium cans or in bottles.  And when ever there was any cow to deliver, we used to wait for this first milk.  Mom used to prepare this Ginna from that milk. 
But when I came to know that how much important it is for a calf to have the colostrum, I (at least) stopped having ginna.  I felt bad for the calf! 
Even for human babies, mother's first milk is very important to develop the immune system.
But, it is not advisable for a pregnant woman as this is considered as heat food or which produces heat in the body.
Last week, my mother's friend bought this ginna for us! And I could not wait taking pictures. I think I tasted it after 25 years!
Here is the  recipe from my mom,
Colostrum - 1 litre
Powdered or grated Jaggery - 250 gm  or according to your taste
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
 The milk should be used as soon as possible otherwise you will not get the halwa texture, it will become water like payasam.
Add the milk and jaggery in a cooker vessel.  Mix it till the jaggery is dissolved.  Add cardamom powder.
Check for the sweetness. If less add more.
Keep it in a cooker and give 2 whistles. Allow it to cool.
Remove the vessel. Cut the cooked halwa into desired shapes. 
If the milk is one day old,  repeat the same thing but cook it outside in a vessel by stirring it often.  You will get watery ginna, but that also tastes good. We used to have it with puri or chapati.
Sending this to my event : 




Keep Smiling,

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this and my mom used to prepare it. It has been a while since I ate it, I am drooling over it.

Unknown said...

I love this and my mom used to prepare it. It has been a while since I ate it, I am drooling over it.

Ramya Kiran said...

One of mine and my dad's favorite. Looks great!

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi
Thats very quick response.
Thanks.

kitchen queen said...

lovely sweet looks very inviting and tempting.

Umm Mymoonah said...

Looks so delicious, just a couple of days back i was discussing about this recipe with my friend and saw it in your blog today, so...... tempting.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Thanks for sharing the traditional recipe

Nithya said...

I just love this so so so much from childhood. :) Thanks for all the information dear :)

Hari Chandana P said...

Woww.. my fav recipe.. we call them gunnu.. looks perfect and tempting dear !!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Nice, I remember my granny used to make it often. They call it chikka. Hard to get this milk in city :(

Niv said...

You, know i recently had Ginna. My mom makes yummy ginna. Had never thought anybody can give ginna recipe.You are too good Nivedita avre.

Shivani said...

I am raised in city. Never heard of cows colostrum being used this way. Those who are raised eating or drinking colostrum, they will be fine but I do not find this too comforting taking calf's milk and consuming myself :( (as mentioned by the author also).

wholesaleherbs said...

http://www.nutrovita.com/store/colostrum.htm
Post interesting and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before. Thanks for doing the cool-down, which is really good written. I will refer more friends about this. This is one of the charismatic, informatics blog and a good book about life at most that have been described in the special features to help readers and visitors. All information found here is genuine and realistic.

Anonymous said...

This is really healthy recipe. we called Piss. I put Cardamon Powder, Nutmwg Powder 1 pinch, Kesar, Almonds, Pistachos also. It becomes more tasty.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog