Saturday, January 15, 2011

Khandvi ~ A tempting Snack from Gujarat! for ICC

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
I am angry with  Srivalli because of the recipe for this month's Indian Cooking Challenge
Just kidding, actually I am thankful to her for making me try Khandvi ! again and test my patience and cooking passion. I The recipe I followed is the first one from  Lataji'.
It was 4th time before I tried in the past and all the 3 times it was a super failure. But this time I did it, I took the challenge and was succeeded half. My only mistake was I spread it thick.
But when I saw Lataji's photo, I felt my spread was also good.
The taste was too good to enjoy as an evening snack, or morning breakfast.

Ingredients: are very simple, easily available at home, and very fast snack for unexpected guests. Just be careful when you are spreading the batter.
Gramflour - 1/3 cup
Curds or yogurt - 1/3 cup
Water -  1 cup
Hing a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ginger and green chilli paste - 1 tsp or more(if you like it spicy)
Sugar - 1 tsp

For tempering :
Oil- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp

For garnishing:
Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp(grated)
Fresh Coriander - 1 tbsp, cleaned, washed and chopped
Keep the greased thali ready.

Method:

  • Mix gramflour, curds, water, salt and ginger chilly paste in a big bowl.
  • Mix well and remove lumps. I used bare fingers to remove the lumps.
  • Add hing, turmeric powder and sugar and mix well again.

  • Take a thick bottomed kadai, make it hot.
  • Add the batter, keep on stirring continuously. Cook it till the raw smell goes and it gets cooked. You can see the color change and it starts shining. I kept on stirring for almost 15 minutes and my hands started paining :-) But do not stop.
  • Immediately transfer the batter on the greased thali and spread it thin and evenly.
  • Cut into thin strips. Wait till cool.


  • Roll each strip into small rolls and keep in a serving plate.
  • Heat oil in a small vessel. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter add sesame seeds. 
  • Remove form the heat.
  • Allow it to cool.
  • Spread it on the ready Khandvis.
  • Garnish with fresh coconut and coriander.

I enjoyed it making and going to try it again very soon.

Keep Smiling,

11 comments:

Srivalli said...

hahah..so wonderful that you got it right in the end..;0

Hayley said...

kudos to you Nive..I am gujju and I find it difficult to make khandvi..tempting !

Gayathri Kumar said...

Khandvi looks so nice. The rolls are so cute..

Priya Sreeram said...

Lovely-- it looks swell ; Seasons Greetings to u & family !

Aruna Manikandan said...

looks delicious dear :)

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Khandvi looks yummy ..

Priya Suresh said...

Nivi,urs looks damn prefect, finally u got them na..

Simplyfood said...

Beautifully made Khandvis they look really tasty.

Unknown said...

yummy Khandvi Nivedita!...I enjoyed them totally!

Unknown said...

samepinch same thing happened with me too only thig u got it perfect ... still Iam strugling nice presentation too looks yum...

Usha said...

Finally nailed it! yummy..

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog