Monday, May 30, 2011

Whole wheat ,Oat & Chocolate Cookies(T&T)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
I always love to participate in the events. If you are regular visitor to my blog, you know it. I get inspired by the themes and I give my best to cook something new according to theme.
This time when I came to know about the T&T guest hosted by Jayasri, it was already late. And when I visited the blog which Jayasri has chosen I was in a world of baking. I browsed the blog for two days and I did not get any recipe for a newbie like me. 
Deeba of  Deeba's Passionate about Baking  is very very creative and I may take years to reach her level when it comes to baking. And the photography!!! no words to explain, I mean it, she is a wonderful blogger with so much passionate about baking. I loved all the recipes, but I had many problems to follow her recipes, 
The first thing was, I am still crawling when it comes to baking, I was not sure about my success in any of the recipes.
 The second thing is ingredients, many ingredients she has used are not available at my place. Even its difficult to get cherries or strawberry also.
When I was browsing for cookies I got this one:
In this recipe also, I did not had chocolate chips and walnuts. Walnuts were out of stock in nearby shop. And I could not afford the time to visit the city to bring walnuts. I replaced it with Almonds.
And getting Chocolate chips was out of question here in my place. I need to go almost 15 Km to get it and that too not sure about the availability.
I thought of skipping the chips and following the remaining ingredients.
When I was about to start, my daughter came and asked me what I am baking, I told her about the cookies, she made a face that she does not want white cookies. She would love to have Chocolate cookies.
So there was no way for me to keep the original recipe as it is. I thought of adding Cocoa powder instead of half the qty of oats. 
Here is the recipe for the cookies with some alterations(no option for me):


Recipe in my words:
I used half the qty from original recipe(more than a dozen cookies came out with this qty)
Ingredients:
Dry Ingredients:
Whole Wheat flour - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
Oats - 1 cup(I used Saffola rolled oats)
Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
(Original recipe does not have cocoa powder and she has used 1 1/2 cups of oats)
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1/8 tsp
half a pinch of salt
Finely chopped  almonds - 1/4 cup(original recipe had walnuts and choco chips)


Wet Ingredients:
Butter - 1/4 cup(I used fresh home made at room temperature)
Egg - 1/2
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Demerara Sugar - 3/8 cup(3 times of 1/8 cup)

Method:
  • Take all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk them and keep aside.
  • In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
  • Add the egg and vanilla essence. Beat for some more minutes.
  • Add the dry ingredients and mix well. 
  • My dough became dry. It was like a normal chapati dough(little softer)

  • Preheat the oven.
  • Grease the baking tray or  use the baking sheets.
  • Take a tbsp of dough and press to give round shape. You won't get nice shape, but don't worry about the shape. The taste won't differ.
  • Bake at 180C for 12 to 15 minutes. I baked it for 13 minutes.
  • Remove from the tray, remove to cooling racks.
  • Store in a airtight jar.

My both the daughters enjoyed the cookies with their favorite song and dance. Thanks to Deeba for such a lovely recipe and thanks to Jayasri for selecting this blog.
(This event was started byzlamushka and is now taken care of by Lakshmi of Kitchen Chronicles)




Keep Smiling,

12 comments:

kitchen queen said...

yummy crunchy and perfect cookies.

Priya Suresh said...

Scrumptious and addictive cookies, fantastic..

Kamakshi Prasanna said...

Delicious cookies!!! Mouth watering too....

veena said...

yummy and healthy ...

Radhika said...

Lovely to crunch it with a cup of milk.

Priya Sreeram said...

cookies have come out well !

Prathima Rao said...

Heya Niveditha...U have a wonderful bolg here & im glad i stopped by :) Happy to follow u!! Keep rocking...
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

KrithisKitchen said...

Healthy and scrumptious cookies Nive... So neatly done..
http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Event: Serve It-Chilled

Unknown said...

Yum, looks great Nivi :)

Unknown said...

delicious cookies dear

Hari Chandana P said...

Woww... looks yummy !!
Indian Cuisine

zian said...

Yum!!

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog