Friday, June 3, 2011

Oats, almond and dates granola bars

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
One more recipe followed from DEEBA'S blog.
Again the same problem of not getting few ingredients here. I think there is a plus point in that also. That brings more creativity in me.
The other day Suma Rowjee posted the recipe(.Eggless Chocolate Chip Oat & Whole Wheat Snack Bar..) which she has followed it from Deeba (recipe here) and Deeba has followed it from Megan(here) and everyone with their alterations.
I thought of combining all the ideas and creating my own granola bars :-)))), and hey it was a success, I could not stop munching these lovely bars. My younger daughter was so happy to have it, and I was satisfied of giving her some thing healthy. And I never never imagined even in my dream  that I will bake some bars like these...
And the best part of these bars is its made of wheat and oats added to it are almonds and dates. What a perfect breakfast with a glass of milk to start your day. It really keeps you energetic the whole day.
SO THANKS TO ALL THE LADIES FOR GIVING ME THIS WONDERFUL RECIPE.
Please click the above links for their original recipes,


Coming to my version:
Dry Ingredients:
Oats - 1 1/2 cups(I used Saffola Oats)
Whole Wheat Flour - 3/4 cup
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Flaked almonds - 1/2 cup
Diced fresh dates - 1/4 cup

Wet Ingredients:
Granulated Sugar - 1/4 cup
Brown or Demerara sugar - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1/4 cup
Milk - 2 tbsp
Corn flour - 2 tbsp
Warm water - 2tbsp
Vanilla extract or essence - 1 tsp

for the coating :
Nutella spread 
and toasted flaked almonds




Method:
Pre heat the oven at 180c
Grease and line a 7x11x2 inch tin with baking parchment leaving an overhang.
Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Keep aside.
Mix the warm water and cornflour in a bowl and keep it aside.
In a large bowl, add milk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Beat till the sugar is dissolved (it may take 3 to 4 minutes)
Add the cornflour mix. Beat again for a minute. 
Fold in the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture will be very thick.
Spread it in a tin and level it.  
First time I baked it at 180 c for 30 minutes.
I removed and kept it to cool, but still the bars were soft.
So I cut it into bars and again baked at 200 c for 10 more minutes. And there I got crispy granola bars.
I used Nutella spread  and some flaked almonds to top it with. (I did not had dark chocolate).


My daughters enjoyed these bars.
You can store these crispy bars in an airtight box for a week or so.


(This event was started byzlamushka and is now taken care of by Lakshmi of Kitchen Chronicles)


Keep Smiling,


8 comments:

Rumana Rawat said...

what a lovely recipe:)

chef and her kitchen said...

I made these bars 2day but a different process..:) absolutely love dem

suma said...

My kids loved these bars too, am glad you tried it too. Nutella and almonds added make them all the more yumm...

Hayley said...

lovely and healthy bars nive..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Nivedita,
How are you doing? Granola bars have come out so well. Looks very crunchy

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Unknown said...

Yum, looks superb dear.

Priya Suresh said...

Seriously am crazy about this granola bars, super tempting and addictive..

Hari Chandana P said...

Very new to me.. looks absolutely inviting... send me some dear :)
Indian Cuisine

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog