Saturday, August 10, 2013

LADY FINGER OR OKRA CHUTNEY FOR PPCS

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
How are you? Festival time ladies. More work for us, more fun for family members, specially kids. All are waiting for the sweets, snacks and special main course.



Wait, I am not posting any special food for the party. Today I am here with a very simple side dish. Chutney is the basic item in a thali in any Indian food.
If you have not tried it before, you will really like it. Its different.
And can you guess with what we had this spicy chutney?? We had it with PAAPDIS. :-)
I got this recipe from my closest, dearest friend Renu, thanks dear :-) 
Jagruti has named me "CHUTNEY QUEEN" Trying to keep the title :-)

Coming to the recipe,

We need very few ingredients to make this chutney.

Ingredients:
Lady finger(Okra) - 150 gm(big ones, you can see in the photo, I took 12)
Oil -1 tbsp
Green chilly - 6 to 8(depends on the chilly, I took more because I wanted it spicy)
Fresh Coriander - 1 small bunch
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Crystal Salt to taste(optional, you can use the normal table salt)
Garlic - 1 small bulb(6-8 cloves)
Lime juice -1 tsp+ 1 tsp


Method :
  • Wash and dry wipe the lady fingers and keep it aside.
  • When dry, cut into round pieces.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai.
  • Fry the cut lady finger pieces for some time.
  • Add 1 tsp of lime juice to remove the stickiness.
  • Add Green chilly and peeled garlic.
  • Fry all till brown.
  • Let it be cool.
  • Separate the chilly and garlic.
  • Take the cleaned fresh coriander, cumin seeds, chilly and garlic in a mixi.
  • Grind into a coarse paste.
  • Add the fried lady finger and just turn the mixi for few seconds. 
  • Transfer into a bowl, add a tsp of lime juice. Adjust the seasoning. 

Enjoy it with chapati, hot rice and ghee or even a curd rice.


My husband brought the Paapadis in the evening when I made this chutney. My elder daughter and him both enjoyed the Paapadis with this spiciest chutney. 

This is my entry to 
Jagruti's  event:


Keep Smiling,

24 comments:

Sujata Roy said...

Never imagined of ladyfinger chutney. This looks so inviting. Easy and delicious recipe. Superb share.

Sharmila kingsly said...

Good one.. Have never thought t make a chutney with bhindi.. This is so innovative..

Indfused said...

This chutney looks superb and tempting. I will try it soon

Freda said...

I second Jagruti, you are definitely the chutney queen :) I have had okra in all forms except in this chutney form, It looks and sounds yum! Bookmarking to try it soon!

Priya Suresh said...

Okra chutney, the name itself tempts me a lot to make some soon. Seriously a fantastic chutney Nivedita. Loving it.

Archana said...

Chutney with lady finger??? Wow will try for sure.

Pavani said...

You are definitely the Chutney Queen, so many amazing chutneys made with such unexpected ingredients. Kudos to you.
Okra chutney sounds delicious. My mom used to make okra chutney but the method is very different from yours.

Hayley said...

Hey, Chutney queen title suits you so well :) Because one would never think of making chutney with okra! Definitely I am going to try this one as soon as I can get hold of some good okra:)

Unknown said...

Never heard of okra chutney...Chutney looks delicious..Perfect to have twith papdis or crisps.

sujitha said...

Okra in chutney looks delicious never imagined okra in chutney..Amazing recipe..

Priya Satheesh said...

Delicious Chutney.. Even recently I tried chutney using Okra and turned yummy. So can feel the taste of this chutney. Lovely share!

Uma Srinivas said...

Okra chutney looks yummy. I make with some curd and peanuts. So next time I will try this.

Avin said...

I never knew if lady finger even existed. Lovely share👍

Rafeeda AR said...

The chutney sounds very interesting and delicious... will be lovely with some curd rice!

Sasmita said...

Okra chutney !!! Sounda interesting. Will try for sure 😊

cookingwithsapana said...

I could never thought of making chutney with okra. This sounds super inviting.

Sonal said...

could never imagine bhindi being used for chutney. what a brilliant recipe there

jayashree said...

Never tried making okra chutney, should give a try sometime. Looks delicious.

Jyoti Babel said...

Okra chutney! Well, never heard of it. But, making this chutney is a great way of adding okra to one's diet. Personally, I am not too found of it. So, this idea is great - given how nutritious okra is for one's health

mildly indian said...

interesting one. i have never tried this coz of the sliminess. now it is a new motivation.

Vidya Narayan said...

I agree with Jagruti, you are indeed the chutney queen my dear. Okras in a chutney - Brilliant. I am loving the recipe and can imagine the flavours. Too good. Loved the innovation here.

Lathiya said...

Never thought or heard of okra chutney..this looks and sounds delicious

code2cook said...

Really am I reading correct, okra chutney. surely be tasting great with snacks. interesting.

Unknown said...

Wow, indeed you are Chutney Queen, who can even think to make chutney out of okra?Would definitely love to try

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog