Monday, July 20, 2009

Karela fry salad(Bitter gourd salad)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,

Bitter gourd or karela or (ಹಾಗಲ ಕಾಯಿ) is a vegetable, I can eat any time, with anything.
I love to experiment with bitter gourd, as I like it. I have tried making chutneys, pickles, stir fries, simple gravies. I will try to post the recipes in the future.
Now, here is the salad, which I love to eat any time with anything or just like that.
Bitter gourd - 2 to 3
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 big
Lime juice - 2 to 3 tbsp
Chilly powder - 1 tbsp or as per taste
Salt to taste
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Fresh coriander or Parsley(or both) - 1 handful chopped
(General tip to wash the bitter gourd to remove its bitterness
Wash the bitter gourd. Without peeling the skin, cut in to half length wise. Remove the seeds and apply salt both sides and keep for half an hour. Clean with water 2 times. The bitter gourd is ready to cook.)
(If you do not have time to keep it with salt, you can just peel the skin and wash it with saltwater.)
Cut the bitter gourd in to thin slices. Heat oil in kadai, add the cut slices and fry till brown. Keep on stirring other wise it will get burn. Before serving mix all other ingredients in a bowl. Add the fried bitter gourd at the end, mix it well and serve as a side dish.

Keep smiling,

2 comments:

Nisha said...

Simple and flavourful. :) Even I am a great fan of Karela. :)

Ritu Tangri said...

I too love karelas, this is another flavorful way to enjoy karelas.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog