Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pearls and Gems!! for breakfast!

Tried and tasted by Nivedita,
Hi all,
Got confused with the title!!
When I clicked the photo, this name flashed in my mind!
As I told before also, it is like a celebration for me if this recipe comes out nice. And today was the day, I got it just right or more than right. But against its name, it was so soft that it was almost melting in the mouth! Am I exaggerating ??? NO! I was really happy and may be more than 50 times I told my mother about how I prepared it.
Still scratching your head about what am I talking??


Don't you think they look just  like pearls and gems!!!
It is nothing but Sago or Sabudana Kichdi!
This is my daughter's favorite at any time. I could never prepare it so good like today!! So writing and keeping it in a safe locker that I should not forget the process in the future.
Coming to the recipe,
Sago(big) - 200 gm
Butter milk - 3 tbsp
Potato - 1 big, peeled and cut into big cubes
Oil - 2 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - few
Green chilly  - 1, remove seeds and chop it fine
Almonds - 6 to 8 roasted
Pea nuts - 10 to 12 roasted
Salt to taste
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp grated

Few months ago, when I was searching for this recipe, I read in a blog(sorry, I do not remember the name) that if you sprinkle some butter milk on soaked sago, the kichdi will come out soft. I tried it and it is true.
So,
Wash the sago in clean water and soak it only for 5 minutes. Remove the water. Sprinkle butter milk and keep it aside for 3 to 4 hours.
Chop the nuts in to 4 pieces or crush it in to small pieces.
Add oil in thick bottomed kadai. When hot , add jeera and curry leaves. Add chilly and potato cubes. Fry till brown. Add soaked sago and keep on stirring. Or else the kichdi will get burnt. After the sago changes its color add nuts and salt. Keep on stirring for some time. Cover it and cook it till the sago is cooked. Now sprinkle the milk. Mix it and cover it for a minute on medium flame. Remove from the heat.  Before serving add lemon juice and fresh coconut, mix and serve it hot.
 Sago flour (from Metroxylon) is nearly pure carbohydrate and has very little protein, vitamins, or minerals.... Read more about sago here.
But definitely a good breakfast or evening snack for kids. If you want to make it more nutritious,add more nuts, potato and other vegetables.

Sending this to Srivalli's  Announcing Kid's Delight ~ Wholesome Breakfast! . 
Hope it goes into her list!


This is going to the event conducted by iloufer of Kitchen Samraj! "Cooking with Seeds- Sago Event Announcement"  which is started by  Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes.





Keep Smiling,

9 comments:

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Yummy breakfast.. I love it..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Bumped in here and i'm glad to visit your blog. I'm always on lookout for new recipes for my son because i don't want him to get bored with regular preparations . Will some try this soon. Will be following you
Deepa
http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy breakfast...

priya said...

looks superb and yummy too...nice click!

Rachana said...

Pearls and Gems...hmm.. looks healthy and yummy:)

priya said...

Please collect your award from my blog, dear!

Nithu Bala said...

Hey Dear, I love this "Pearls&Gems"..actually, I've been searching for good Sabudana kichadi recipe and I'm happy I got it here..thanks dear for sharing..hope your daughter loved it.

Padma said...

Looks delicious. Nice breakfast. I just love this.

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry Nive..I thought I left a comment!

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog